Lacerte Family Children’s Zoo
The Lacerte Family Children’s Zoo isn’t just for the young, but also for the young at heart.
With a stream for splashing, ponies for riding, and birds for feeding, you could spend hours exploring the Lacerte Family Children’s Zoo. The children’s zoo features educational and interactive exhibits designed for families with children ages 0-8 that connect families with nature. Since opening in 2000, the children’s zoo has received numerous awards and has served as a model for other children’s zoos across the country.
Components of the children’s zoo include:
- The Wander: an intriguing entryway with a bubbling fountain called Raccoon Springs, where children can dip their hands.
- The Farmyard: opportunities for children to interact with goats, pot-bellied pigs, chickens, and other farm animals.
- Travis & Zach’s Birds Landing: a unique, interactive aviary, providing guests with the opportunity to feed worms and seed sticks to almost two dozen species of birds.
- The Hillcrest Foundation Nature Exchange: providing a unique swap shop for children where they can earn points to trade for other wild treasures.
- The JCPenney Discovery House and A.H. Belo Discovery Yard: a replica of a familiar home and yard with discovery opportunities for our youngest guests, including nature play, animal encounters, and regularly scheduled children’s activities.
- The Underzone: featuring a crawl-through tunnel to get up close to the dwarf mongoose, hornbills, and naked mole rats.
- The Stream: resembling a creek, with water running through rock boulders.