Zoo Crew is designed to give teens (ages 13-17) the opportunity to learn about and volunteer in various areas of the Zoo.
Zoo Crew Details
Year-round Zoo Crew members will volunteer in areas of the zoo including:
- Guest engagement at the Dallas Zoo & Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park with a primary focus on conservation education, using bio-facts, and leading games & activities, with the goal of sharing information about our animals and conservation efforts
- Assisting animal zoologists with animal care and husbandry duties
- Assisting with education programs including: camps, overnights, preschool age programs, family pop-up programs
- Assisting with special events at different times throughout the year
PLEASE NOTE: not all year-round Zoo Crew members will have the option to partake in all of these tasks.
Year-round participants will schedule their own shifts. They can work up to 16 hours per week with one day taking place at the Dallas Zoo & one day taking place at the Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park.
Complete a minimum of 60 hours of volunteering per year to remain in the program, and pay the annual renewal fee of $75 by May 1.
With a self-scheduling model, dates will be available 7 days a week, year-round. Some exclusions will apply.
All individuals interested in the year-round Zoo Crew are required to first participate in the Zoo Crew Training Program. Upon completion of the training program, youth learning staff will invite select individuals to join Zoo Crew.
Zoo Crew Training Program – 2020
This training program is a three-week, in-depth experience that will open your eyes to the many ways the Dallas Zoo works to Create a Better World for Animals and give you a chance to be a part of it. Over the course of the three weeks, you will spend time on each of the following tasks:
- Mentor preschool through 3rd grade campers in our Wild Adventures Camps.
- Engage guests through interactive activities, with a focus on Dallas Zoo animals & conservation efforts.
- Engage guests at the Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park through interactive activities, with a focus on aquatic animals & conservation efforts.
- Zoo Career exploration opportunities, including behind-the-scenes tours and talks with a variety of Zoo staff.
- Upon completion of the training program, participants may be invited to join Zoo Crew on a year-round basis.
- Apply & interview for a spot in one of our sessions.
- Pay a $200 program fee by May 1
- Submit a signed release form by May 1
- Attend a mandatory full-day orientation on the first day of your session
- Volunteer all 15 days of the session (2 excused absences allowed excluding orientation day, prior notification of absences required)
- Be present for entire shift every day
2020 Training Program Sessions
June 1 – June 19, 2020
Mandatory Orientation: Monday June 1, 2020
June 22 – July 10, 2020
Mandatory Orientation: Monday, June 22, 2020
July 20 – August 7, 2020
Mandatory Orientation: Monday July 20, 2020
*Each session lasts 3 weeks, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Orientation is the first Monday of the session from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. and is a required attendance day.