ANIMAL KEEPER II (GREAT APE/ PRIMATE)
Nov 15, 2013
Provides all aspects of animal care for species in area. Serves as a project team leader and provides training/guidance for new staff and volunteers. Participates in operant conditioning programs, exhibit maintenance and improvements. Prepares and conducts educational presentations for visitors.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Closely observe and monitor animals for health and behavioral issues.
- Thoroughly communicate, in writing and verbally, daily status of animals to coworkers, supervisors, curator and veterinarians.
- Prepare and present diets as directed.
- Medicate animals as directed.
- Perform operant conditioning for animals as trained and assigned.
- Follow protocols and operating procedures to maintain a high level of animal care and safety.
- Clean exhibits and holding areas to maintain a high level of sanitation
- Provide rotating and appropriate enrichment for animals.
- Conduct minor repairs to exhibits and holding.
- Participate in exhibit renovation and improvement projects.
- Conduct facility and vehicle inspections as assigned.
- Maintain and submit accurate and timely reports and records.
- Follow all safety protocols and understand keeper’s role in emergency procedures.
- Follow all environmental protocols and understand keeper’s role in protecting the environment.
- Communicate with and assist vendors and visitors as needed. Work cooperatively with zoo staff.
- Study specific reference materials pertinent to animal care, behavior and natural history as assigned.
- Prepare and conduct educational presentations for visitors.
- Conduct informative and safe behind the scenes tours.
- Complete Keeper and Animal Training programs.
- Participate on various zoo committees and events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have at least three years of paid animal care experience in a reputable institution. Experience caring for Great Apes is required.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in biological field preferred, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Computer competency essential.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions without failure.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
- Must be able to lead small teams, motivate and provide guidance to coworkers and volunteers.
- Must be display a positive and professional demeanor.
- Must have excellent observational and reporting skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All applicants MUST place job code PRIMT in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.