Zoo Crew is designed to give teens (ages 13-17) the opportunity to learn about and volunteer in various areas of the Zoo.
Zoo Crew Overview
Year-round Zoo Crew members will volunteer in areas of the zoo including:
- Guest engagement at the Dallas Zoo with a primary focus on conservation education, using bio-facts, and leading games & activities, with the goal of sharing information about our animals and conservation efforts
- Assisting animal zoologists with animal care and husbandry duties
- Assisting with education programs including: camps, overnights, preschool age programs, family pop-up programs
- Assisting with special events at different times throughout the year
- PLEASE NOTE: not all year-round Zoo Crew members will have the option to partake in all of these tasks.
- Year-round participants will schedule their own shifts.
- Pay an annual renewal fee of $75 due by May 1 to continue as a Zoo Crew member.
- With a self-scheduling model, volunteering opportunities are available year-round.
- All individuals interested in the year-round Zoo Crew are required to first participate in the Zoo Crew Training Program. Upon completion of the training program, youth learning staff will invite select individuals to join Zoo Crew.
Closed – 2021 Training Program
This training program is blend of online and in-person experiences that will show you the many ways the Dallas Zoo works to Create a Better World for Animals and give you a chance to be part of it. Sessions will consist of a mix of in-person zoo days, virtual meetings, and online learning. Over the course of the session, you will spend time exploring the following:
- The role guest engagement plays in the Zoo’s mission and how to engage with guests about animals and conservation efforts
- The different elements of zoo habitats
- Your appreciation for nature and how to foster that feeling in others
Upon completion of the training program, participants may be invited to join Zoo Crew year-round program.
- Apply & interview for a spot in one of our sessions
- Pay the $200 program fee
- Submit a signed release form
- Commit to attending all in-person zoo days and synchronous meetings (2 excused absences allowed, prior notification of absences required)
- Zoo days will occur on weekends, and multiple times may be offered in order to work with your schedule.
- Synchronous meetings will be held on select Fridays at 5:00 p.m. during each session.
2022 Training Program
Applications will open in January 2022.