Zoo Crew is designed to give teens (ages 13-17) the opportunity to learn about and volunteer in various areas of the Zoo.
Zoo Crew Overview
Zoo Crew members volunteer in areas of the zoo including:
- Guest engagement with a primary focus on conservation education, using bio-facts, and leading games & activities, with the goal of sharing information about our animals and conservation efforts
- Assisting animal zoologists with animal care and husbandry duties
- Assisting with education programs including: camps, overnights, preschool age programs, family pop-up programs
- Assisting with special events at different times throughout the year
PLEASE NOTE: not all year-round Zoo Crew members will have the option to partake in all of these tasks.
- Pay an annual renewal fee of $75 due by May 1 to continue as a Zoo Crew member.
- Participants will schedule their own shifts.
- Volunteering opportunities are available year-round.
- Session spots are limited; applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. All individuals are required to participate in the Zoo Crew Training Program. Upon completion of the training program, youth learning staff will invite select individuals to join Zoo Crew.
Ready to get started?
2022 Training Program
This training program will consist of in-person zoo days, virtual meetings, and online learning. Over the course of the program, you will spend time exploring the following:
- The role guest engagement plays in the Zoo’s mission and how to engage with guests about animals and conservation efforts
- The different elements of zoo habitats
- Your appreciation for nature and how to foster that feeling in others
Upon completion of the training program, participants may be invited to join Zoo Crew year-round program.
- Apply & interview for a spot in one of our sessions. Session spots are limited; applications will be reviewed in the order they are received.
- Pay the $200 program fee
- Submit the signed release forms
- Commit to attending all in-person zoo days and synchronous meetings (2 excused absences allowed, prior notification of absences required)
- Zoo days will occur on weekends, and multiple times may be offered in order to work with your schedule
- Synchronous meetings will be held on select Mondays at 5:00 p.m. during each session.