As you may be aware, TxDOT is working on I-35E as part of a major construction project that is now underway. It will be ongoing over the next few years as they make some significant improvements, including widening I-35E and improving traffic flow across the bridges nearest the Zoo that cross over I-35E.As a part The Southern Gateway project, TxDOT’s current construction project to improve I-35E through the southern sector of Dallas, our guests will see and feel those construction impacts as they visit the Zoo over the next few years. Our commitment is to keep our guests as informed as we can throughout the project so we can make it as easy as possible to come see us!
We’ll use our website, social media channels and emails to share alerts about major road work and offer recommended routes or detours as needed.
UPDATE — MARCH 22, 2019
Today is a high attendance day – plan ahead to avoid traffic. Reminder to take DART, consult traffic apps to map your way here, and consider alternate routes to the Zoo (exit Ewing, exit Riverfront, etc.)
UPDATE — OCTOBER 13
This coming Saturday morning, Oct. 13, guests visiting the Zoo will be impacted by the closure of the main lanes of traffic on both northbound and southbound I-35E.
- All lanes of northbound and southbound I-35E will be closed at Marsalis Avenue and 8th Street as teams work on both bridges.
- The main lane closures begin at 9:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 12, and will last until 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 13.
- All northbound and southbound traffic on I-35E will be diverted to the I-35E frontage roads to keep traffic moving during that time.
- During this same time, both the Marsalis Avenue and Ewing Avenue overpass bridges will also be closed at I-35E to help facilitate the free flow of detoured traffic along the frontage roads during the time of the main lane closure.
- This means there will be no traffic across either the Marsalis Avenue or Ewing Avenue overpasses until construction is cleared at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ALTERNATE ROUTES
From Southbound I-35E:
- Exit at Riverfront. Take a left onto Riverfront, then a right onto Corinth, then a right onto Clarendon Dr., which will bring you to the Zoo.
From Northbound I-35E:
- Exit at Illinois Avenue. Take a right onto Illinois Ave., a left onto Beckley Ave., then a right onto Clarendon Dr., which will bring you up to the Zoo.
Starting Wednesday evening, Oct. 3, the lanes along northbound and southbound Marsalis Ave. at I-35E will be reduced to accommodate upcoming bridge construction.
- The three current northbound lanes of the Marsalis bridge (2 thru-lanes and the southbound turn lane) will be CLOSED as of Oct. 3.
- All traffic across the Marsalis bridge will be consolidated into 3 lanes, giving drivers 2 southbound lanes (headed toward the Zoo) and 1 northbound lane.
This doesn’t require a re-route nor does it include a recommended detour. It may just require a bit more patience as you come visit us! HERE is a map for reference.
- Plan ahead and expect delays.
- Check the Waze app for up-to-the-minute traffic updates.
- Take the DART Red Line to the Dallas Zoo stop to avoid driving in traffic completely!