- This event has passed.
March 13 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
In honor of Swing Break (our primate-inspired take on spring break), we’re celebrating Dallas Zoo’s Chimpanzee Action Awareness Week to help protect one of our closest relatives. Led by our interns and volunteers, we’re on a mission to raise $14,000 for conservation in a single week AND we’re aiming to collect 300 recyclable cell phones – so please bring in your old ones! (A big threat to wild chimps is habitat destruction through coltan mining, which is a mineral widely used in cell phones.)
Money raised during Dallas Zoo’s Chimpanzee Action Awareness Week benefits the Dallas Zoo’s conservation efforts, including a Jane Goodall Institute project to help feed and care for two chimpanzees rescued from the illegal wildlife and bush meat trade.
Daily activities from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. throughout the park include:
- ZooNorth Breezeway: Purchase specially designed chimpanzee T-shirts ($15), stickers ($5), and commemorative wristbands ($5) or all 3 for just $20! And stroll through our chimp-inspired art fair.
- Recycle Cell Phones: Mobile phone collection/recycling station is located at the Membership Services booth and ZooNorth Breezeway.
- Wilds of Africa: Meet our chimp keepers and resident chimps during daily keeper chats at 11:30 a.m. Plus, pledge to help protect chimps, explore bio facts and engage with our team of conservation interns daily at 2 p.m.
- Shop like a Chimp: “Round up” your purchase in our Zoofari Market gift shop to benefit our conservation efforts.
- Donate online: Can’t make it to the Zoo? Give directly to our Wild Earth Conservation Fund to help support this and other conservation projects. PayPal.me/DallasZoo <– LINK: www.paypal.me/dallaszoo
Please join us in creating a better world for endangered chimpanzees!