Mar 17, 2016
Ensure the well-being of zoo and aquarium animals by assisting veterinarians, maintaining hospital readiness for emergencies and inspections, rotating through clinical, laboratory, pharmacy and necropsy duties.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with medical and surgical procedures and administer treatments as directed.
- Set-up and clean-up after animal procedures, both in the hospital and in animal areas, including preparation of necessary pharmaceuticals and equipment
- Perform venipuncture, anesthetic induction and monitoring, injections, weighing, placement of intravenous catheters, fluid therapy and radiography.
- Act as x-ray technician, surgical nurse or circulating nurse as indicated.
- Provide safe and effective animal restraint and handling as needed.
- Maintain hospital and vehicle readiness, including cleaning, disinfection, restocking of materials, sterilization of instruments, maintaining workspace tidiness, upkeep of procedure kits and emergency boxes.
- Fill prescriptions, assist with controlled pharmaceutical record keeping and inventory.
- Assist veterinarians in monitoring efficacy, form of medication and number of prescriptions for each animal.
- Provide attentive nursing care for hospitalized patients.
- Provide animal husbandry for ICU patients.
- Provide accurate patient observations and medical record entry.
- Perform collection, processing, preparation for shipment and evaluation of clinical laboratory samples, including blood, fecal, urine and water samples; provide accurate and timely reports.
- Perform and maintain records of laboratory quality control testing.
- Send out laboratory samples as necessary.
- Maintain, clean and restock necropsy suite; assist with post-mortem exams and tissue collection, preservation and submission.
- Operate onsite tissue incinerator as needed.
- Develop and maintain proficiency on remote delivery (dart) system
- Serve on emergency immobilization team and maintain readiness for animal emergencies.
- Assist hospital manager with drug and equipment inventory.
- Serve as hospital keeper as needed, providing proper care and husbandry for animals housed in the hospital and quarantine buildings.
- Participate in zoo wide operant conditioning efforts.
- Supervise veterinary and technical students.
- Follow all safety protocols and understand the veterinary department’s role in emergency procedures.
- Actively and effectively communicate with other veterinary technicians serving in a back-up role.
- Provide assistance and do not hesitate to request assistance from other veterinary technicians.
- Work cooperatively with zoo staff.
- Complete special projects as requested by hospital manager.
- Actively participate in team meetings.
- Drive van, truck or golf cart as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Eligibility to become an RVT in Texas within one year of employment.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited veterinary technician program with minimally an Associates of Applied Science degree.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years experience as a working veterinary technician.
- Must have at least three months volunteer or paid experience in a zoo, wildlife or exotic animal practice.
- Computer knowledge helpful.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have good observational skills.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license (to operate Zoo vehicles) and reliable transportation.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code VTCH in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era. EOE M/F/D/V www.dallaszoo.com