SUPERVISOR OF WILDLIFE SHOWS
Aug 18, 2014
This position is responsible for supervising all aspects of wildlife programming at the Dallas Zoo’s Wildlife Amphitheater. Encourages and facilitates a strong team, work ethic and positive attitude in the work environment at all times. The Wildlife Shows Supervisor will work with a team of show specialists to ensure that animals are utilized safely and appropriately to provide fun and engaging wildlife presentations that convey the Dallas Zoo’s Mission of Conserving Wildlife and Inspiring a Passion for Nature.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing, implementing, presenting and evaluating wildlife shows that engage and inspire audiences through fun, exciting, and safe animal encounters that promote the mission of the Dallas Zoo.
- Training and presenting for Wildlife show programming to both large and small audiences on a regular basis.
- Preparing and administering proper diets and supplements for the entire collection.
- Understanding and applying operant conditioning and primarily positive reinforcement strategies to train and maintain husbandry and show behaviors.
- Daily oversight for wildlife housed primarily the Soar facility to ensure high standards for animal welfare and safety. Duties will include animal husbandry, training, and enrichment for a diverse collection of birds and mammals.
- Ensuring all aspects of the wildlife shows operation is running efficiently. This includes strong communication with the Guest Services department to ensure program scheduling is accurate, and are carried out professionally and always on time.
- Record-keeping and scheduling for animal husbandry, training, program usage, enrichment and various zoo operations.
- Train, schedule, coach, evaluate and provide regular performance feedback to Wildlife Show Trainers and Presenters. These topics as well as hiring of trainers and presenters will be a collaborative process shared with the Wildlife Show Manager and various Zoo departments.
- Ensure building maintenance and appearance of the Wildlife Show facility are “guest ready”, as this is an area where guests may be visiting regularly for behind the scenes opportunities.
- Effective communication and interface with animal health, nutrition, and various zoo departments as needed.
- Handle purchasing and acquisition of supply requests as needed and within budget guidelines.
- Ability to work weekend days and flexible hours as schedules dictate.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences (biology, zoology, psychology, etc.) or relevant experience strongly desired.
- Supervisory Experience strongly desired, preferably in an AZA accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with public presentation and animal training experience required.
- Working use of Microsoft based office programs (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Impeccable time management and organizational skills will be needed to succeed in this position.
- Must have a strong appreciation for wildlife and the environment.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to function in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and independently to achieve positive results.
- Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods of time, sit kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able and willing to actively work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Valid driver’s license required to operate Zoo vehicles and reliable transportation.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. All applicants MUST place job code SPVWL in the subject line to be considered.