EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR – SUMMER CAMP (SEASONAL)
Apr 6, 2016
Responsible for teaching Summer Camps during the 2016 season, Monday – Friday, up to 40 hours per week (June 6 – August 19, 2016). This is a non-benefited, seasonal position and serves 120 campers per week. Campers are divided by grade level (PreK-12th grade) and each group has two lead teachers in addition to teen volunteers. The teacher to student ratio is 1:10. This position requires a high level of energy and enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, and the ability to work with groups of all ages in both in and outdoor settings.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead full and half day camps at the Dallas Zoo for children ages Pre-K through 12th grade.
- Responsible for teaching curriculum including crafts, activities, and Zoo tours.
- Prepare program areas, classrooms, materials and supplies before and after programs. Keep program areas, classrooms, supplies and storage areas neat and organized.
- Interact and communicate positively and professionally with all participants regarding zoo programs.
- Responsible for supervision of teen volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.A. /B.S. in Biology, Education or related field preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience working with animals in an educational setting required.
- At least one year of teaching experience in a classroom, non-formal science center, zoo or nature center required.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Must be able to respond in a calm manner to emergencies.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills. Must display a high level of customer service skills and a positive and professional attitude. Must have a desire to engage and work with large groups of children and adults. Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management and other employees.
- Must be flexible and willing to assist with a variety of teaching and administrative duties.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances.
- Must be able to work outside.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
The Dallas Zoo Education Department is a vital part of the Conservation & Education Division, along with the Lacerte Family Children’s Zoo, Volunteer Services, and the Conservation Science Departments. The Dallas Zoo’s mission is “Inspiring passion for nature and wildlife conservation.” In support of this mission, the intended outcomes established by the Education Department are that participants in our programs will understand their connection with nature, adopt behaviors on behalf of the environment, and be inspired to care for wildlife and wild places. Additionally, the Dallas Zoo Education Department has established program standards which apply to each program developed and delivered by the department. These standards are: learners are actively involved; programs utilize our living animal collection; they create an environment that fosters positive connections with nature; they are science-based and they are conservation-oriented.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to ZooJobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All applicants MUST place job code EI-SUMM in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.