SHOW ANIMAL SPECIALIST (FULL-TIME)
Apr 14, 2014
Primary duties include care and presentation of African animals at the Wild Encounters Stage, narration and operation of the Safari Monorail Ride, and interpretation throughout the Wilds of Africa area of the zoo. Responsible for delivering dynamic guest experiences on a daily basis. (WOA Interpretive Specialist)
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Animal training, husbandry and public presentations with a collection of mammals, birds, reptiles and invertebrates.
- Engage zoo visitors with excellent customer service and deliver fun, friendly and impactful interpretive experiences that align with the Dallas Zoo’s Mission.
- Operate the monorail train and narrate fun and educational information to guests regarding animals, conservation, and other points of interest at the Dallas Zoo.
- Operate and Maintain technology based interpretive tools and biofacts used to educate and engage guests.
- Understand and uphold Zoo policies and protocols to ensure safe, efficient operations and positive guest experiences.
- Work irregular hours including weekends and occasional weeknights.
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in animal husbandry and animal handling preferred.
- Experience with public speaking/public presentations desired. Bi-lingual skills preferred in English and Spanish.
- Experience in education, interpretation, or customer service based field desired. Ideal candidate will have an understanding of zoological parks and a strong appreciation for wildlife and the environment.
- Candidate must possess excellent organizational skill and the ability to function in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and independently to achieve positive results.
- Must be able to walk, stand for extended time, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays and some evenings.
- Must be able and willing to actively work outdoors in all weather.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter tozoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code WOAINT in the subject line to be considered.