Jun 29, 2014
The Animal Outreach Department provides exciting animal programs to the community including local schools, churches, civic groups, and community events. It also serves as an animal resource for various Zoo activities, both on and off site, including Education Department programs, media appearances, and Special Event functions.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Daily oversight for wildlife housed at the Animal Outreach facility. Duties will include animal husbandry, socialization, and training of a diverse collection of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates
- Ensuring building maintenance and appearance of the Animal Outreach facility as this area will also be utilized for behind the scenes tours.
- Helping to develop and present wildlife programs that engage and inspire audiences through fun, exciting, and safe animal encounters that promote the mission of the Dallas Zoo
- Record-keeping and scheduling for animal husbandry, training, program usage, and various zoo operations
- Effective communication and interface with animal health, nutrition, and various zoo departments as needed
- Handle purchasing and acquisition of supply requests as needed and within budget guidelines
- Understand and uphold Zoo policies and protocols to ensure safe, efficient operations and positive guest experiences.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences (biology, zoology, psychology, etc.) or relevant experience
- Public presentation and animal training experience strongly desired
- Working use of Microsoft based office programs (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Ability to present to both small and large crowds
- Strong written and verbal communication sills
- Impeccable time management and organizational skills will be needed to succeed in this position
- Valid Class “C” driver’s license required to operate Outreach vehicles and reliable transportation
- Ability to handle vigorous physical labor associated with husbandry and presentation activities
- One year of experience caring for and/or handling animals strongly desired.
- Candidate must possess excellent organizational skill and the ability to function in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and independently to achieve positive results.
- Must be able to walk, stand for extended time, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders.
- Must be able to perform the physical challenges involved in the daily duties of the department including standing long periods, talking long periods, walking throughout the park, and lifting/carrying equipment weighing approximately 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays and some evenings.
- Must be able to actively work outdoors.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills required.
- Fluency in both English and Spanish languages desired but not mandatory.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code OSP-FT in the subject line to be considered.