May 20, 2015
To provide care and maintenance of Dallas Zoo landscape areas. Performs all aspects of labor related to landscape maintenance and construction to include but not limited to the following: operation of all types of landscape maintenance equipment such as blowers, mowers, weed-eaters, edgers, tillers, aerators, chain saws, skidsteer, forklift and small vehicles; trimming of perennial plants, shrubs and trees; removal of trimmings, leaves and other landscape debris for proper disposal or recycling; preparation and planting of new landscape areas and perennial/seasonal color beds; installation of new landscapes.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Loading and unloading of tools and equipment onto trucks to ensure necessary tools are available for horticulture projects.
- Perform landscape maintenance and construction work.
- Operation of all types of landscape hand tools and equipment for maintenance and construction activities.
- Flag traffic, set out barricades, cones or other safety devices to help ensure the safety of employees and the public while work is performed.
- Drive trucks and other Zoo vehicles and equipment to transport tools, equipment, supplies or material to and from the work site.
- Remove weeds from landscape areas and assist with pick up of litter when needed.
- Perform preventive maintenance on equipment to ensure proper operating conditions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires knowledge of landscape maintenance and construction.
- Requires knowledge of horticultural methods, techniques, and general plant identification.
- May require knowledge of mechanics and specialized equipment.
- May require knowledge, use and care of hand and power tools, such as saws and drills.
- Ability to perform a variety of moderate to heavy physical labor for extended periods.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other employees and the public.
- Requires a positive attitude and strong work ethic with the desire to work as a team member.
- Must have good English comprehension, speaking and written communication skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license (to operate Zoo vehicles) and reliable transportation.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders, and lift/carry 50 lbs A.
- Must be able to be work weekends, holidays, nights or evenings as needed.
Working Conditions and Hazards
- Requires extensive walking, carrying, dragging, holding, pulling, pushing, lifting, kneeling, bending, twisting body, walking, reaching, and squatting; may be required to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Major activities are performed on level, slippery, sloping, unstable and uneven terrain.
- Major activities are performed outdoors.
- May be exposed to extreme cold, heat, temperature swings, heights, constant noise, mechanical and electrical hazards, fumes, odors, toxic chemicals (pesticides), dust, insects, poison ivy.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by personnel assigned to this position and is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to ZooJobs@DallasZoo.com. All applicants MUST place job code LSPEC in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.