Jan 15, 2015
This position is responsible for teaching a variety of education programs at the Dallas Zoo and Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park. Instructors are expected to operate according to program standards and support the achievement of departmental outcomes. The Education Department has identified four key audiences: early childhood, youth, families, and educators. Each Instructor is intended to primarily focus on a particular audience; however, this position is expected to fill in with all audiences as needed.
This is a non-benefited, part-time position. Education Instructors can work up to 29 hours per week as scheduled and assigned. Schedule varies by program.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach programs and lead tours at the Dallas Zoo and Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park. Programs include lessons, activities and handling and presentation of all live education animals.
- Schedule varies by program; most programs occur Monday – Saturday. Must be consistently available for assigned programs.
- Prepare program areas, classrooms, materials and supplies before and after programs. Keep program areas, classrooms, supplies and storage areas neat and organized.
- Interact and communicate positively and professionally with all participants regarding zoo programs.
- Safely gather and transport education animals to and from programs.
- Assist with development of program materials and activity content as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Biology, Education or related field.
- Minimum of one year of teaching experience in a classroom, non-formal science center, zoo or nature center required.
- Must be able to effectively manage large groups of participants in a classroom and around the zoo.
- Must possess skills for confident handling of a variety of live animals; prior experience with animals preferred.
- Must be willing to assist with a variety of teaching and administrative duties.
- Must be able to respond in a calm manner to emergencies.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills. Must display a high level of customer service skills and a positive and professional attitude. Must have a desire to engage and work with large groups of children and adults. Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management and other employees.
- Must be flexible, organized, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing. Spanish fluency a plus.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) or ability to master this and other software used by the Zoo required. Ability to communicate regularly via email required.
- Must be able to walk long distances, stand for extended periods of time, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, climb stairs, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to actively work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must have a valid driver’s license (to operate Zoo vehicles) and reliable transportation.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All applicants MUST place job code EINST in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.