DIRECTOR OF VOLUNTEER SERVICES
Jul 11, 2014
This position is responsible for the creative and strategic direction of the Volunteer programs for the Dallas Zoo and the Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park and will plan and direct the management of volunteer activities for both mission-based and support programs. The incumbent will take direction from the strategic goals of the institution and will collaborate with other senior managers to create, design and implement volunteer outcome-oriented programs and activities. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Conservation & Education and is one member of the senior team of the Conservation and Education Division.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the strategic management of Conservation and Education Division, ensuring that the Volunteer Services Department is integrated into and helps to accomplish divisional and institutional goals. Collaborate with other senior managers and team managers to establish annual goals that will accomplish programmatic goals and objectives for the area. Collaborate with senior managers to identify opportunities and design volunteer programs that align with and support institutional goals. (15%)
- Manage the recruitment, training, supervision, recognition, placement and evaluation of all adult volunteers (including animal care volunteers, research aides, education aides, special events volunteers, interns and other unpaid staff positions). Manage a group of adult and youth volunteers who work on special projects and events. Recruit and manage Corporate volunteer work days, including maintaining a roster of projects needed by various departments. Develop and update Volunteer job descriptions, volunteer manuals, orientation materials, policies and procedures, and other support materials. Collaborate with other institutional managers to develop and implement a training and professional development program for volunteers. Ensure that all Volunteer Programs are accomplished per standards. (30%)
- Oversee the administration of specialty volunteer programs, such as Aquarium Volunteers and College Internships, that are largely implemented in other departments; coordinate administration including onboarding with Youth Volunteer Coordinator. Participate in the development of guidelines and activities consistent with general volunteer policies and that support the strategic goals of the operating departments involved. To enhance learning opportunities, organize appropriate zoo tours and/or seminars for the intern group each session. (20%)
- Assist in development of the annual operating budget in order to ensure key goals and operations are achieved in a cost-effective manner. Manage income and expenses throughout the year within the approved budget in accordance with Dallas Zoo guidelines and procedures. Assist in promoting or seeking grants as appropriate to develop or support programs of the Volunteer Department. (10%)
- Act as a resource for all staff working with volunteers, including mediating staff/volunteer relations and implementing organizational and departmental policies. Serve as an advocate for volunteer resources within the organization as well as within the community. (5%)
- Hire, train, coach, supervise and evaluate direct reports. Make appropriate recommendations regarding salary and other employment actions for all Volunteer Services staff. Allocate staff resources as appropriate to assure projects and goals are completed on schedule. Ensure that all staff remain current in training and adhere to institutional policies and practices. (5%)
- Manage database for Volunteers, including compilation of monthly volunteer hour reports and other types of reports as needed. (5%)
- Maintain communications with volunteers through the use of electronic communication methods, telephone, periodic group meetings, and one-on-one contact. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
- Five to seven years relevant volunteer management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum three years supervisory management experience, including programmatic planning, budgeting, and personnel management and accountability required.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work as a part of a team required. Demonstrated skills in staff and volunteer training and mentoring.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multitask and follow up on requests required.
- Must possess a strong commitment to customer service excellence for guests and internal clients.
- Strong computer background and proficiency required, preferably with Microsoft Office suite software.
- Demonstrated interest in nature, animals, conservation and children’s programming. Commitment to the mission and values of the Dallas Zoo.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required; multi-lingual ability and Spanish fluency a plus.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with diverse, multicultural, intergenerational audiences as well as a diverse volunteer corps.
- Valid driver’s license required to operate Zoo vehicles and reliable transportation.
- Must be able to work holidays, weekends and evenings.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to ZooJobs@DallasZoo.com. All applicants MUST place job code DIRVS in the subject line to be considered.