DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Aug 25, 2014
The Director of Development manages the Dallas Zoo’s Annual Giving, Adopt-An-Animal, Corporate Sponsorships and President’s Circle membership programs. This person will work closely with the Vice President of Advancement as well as the Advancement Services and Membership departments to ensure that all development related events advance the mission of the Zoo, to ensure that events support the membership, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship goals of the organization and to constantly evaluate ways to improve upon all fundraising events hosted or supported by the Dallas Zoo.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build the Dallas Zoo’s annual giving programs under the oversight of the VP of Advancement, including the development of a strategic plan of action with objectives, timelines and evaluation plans for each program. Annual giving program components will include appeals to the general membership and specialized efforts directed toward high-level donors.
- Generate monthly reports necessary to track progress against strategic goals and objectives.
- Serve as “champion” for the President’s Circle program with sole responsibility for all correspondence, recordkeeping, reporting, etc related to the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of group members.
- Work with the VP of Advancement to develop and manage annual income and expense budget related to development efforts.
- Work with the Grant Writer to develop specific appeal pieces for use in annual giving solicitations
- Work with the Director of Advancement Services and the Database Specialist to segment prospects and donor constituents for specific annual solicitations and events.
- Implement all components of annual giving programs.
- Perform comprehensive analysis related to all aspects of the annual giving programs. Utilizes statistical analysis to help evaluate current development programs and to make recommendations to the VP of Advancement for program changes.
- Work closely with the VP of Advancement and other Dallas Zoo management to ensure that all annual giving programs are properly coordinated with their respective efforts, including membership acquisition and retention.
- Supervise and guide the responsibilities of the Corporate Giving Manager and Event Specialist.
- Manage all aspects of the Adopt-An-Animal program.
- Provide administrative support to the VP of Advancement to ensure the continued progression of all fundraising campaigns.
- Schedule and attend all Development Committee meetings and other campaign planning meetings.
- Maintain records of campaign-related cultivation strategies, solicitations, contact reports and results of all contacts with campaign prospects.
- Produce campaign proposals, supporting documentation and correspondence.
- Work with Event Specialist to develop event strategies for all development-related events (e.g. galas, stewardship events, President’s Circle events, cultivation events, etc.)
- Manage the above mentioned strategies under the supervision of the VP of Advancement with input and direction from other upper management personnel.
- Work with the Event Specialist to maintain and coordinate a detailed timeline for each event, ensuring deadlines are met and responsibilities understood.
- Ensure that all event-related contracts are presented to the VP of Advancement for signature.
- Create and obtain approval for customized event budgets.
- Propose ideas to improve all development-related events, including planning and implementation recommendations.
- Work with Event Specialist to coordinate and collaborate all personnel who are responsible for special events through meetings and other communication.
- Review the results of all development-related events and activities to ensure accountability within the entire team.
- Regularly give feedback to members of the development team in regard to individual and team performance. Administers written and verbal performance reviews for direct reports on an annual basis.
- Supports greater efforts of the Advancement team.
- Cross-trained to assist in the Membership Booth on a monthly basis.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Three to five years of professional fundraising experience.
- B.A., B.S. or equivalent degree.
- Proven history of soliciting gifts between $5K and $10K.
- Successful track record soliciting gifts and maintaining a portfolio.
- Experience managing other development-related personnel.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles and best practices associated with fundraising.
- Possesses strong analytical skills
- Strategic approach to problem solving
- Ability to successfully lead and manage a team of development professionals
- Personable presence and demeanor
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work face-to-face with the external community, including volunteers, donor prospects and members.
- Outstanding commitment to customer service.
- Strong attention to detail with an outstanding ability to multi-task.
- Initiates projects and has the ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple event budgets concurrently.
- Strong Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and utilize Raiser’s Edge. Past experience working with Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
- Organized, energetic, flexible, detail-oriented and computer proficient
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the Dallas Zoo.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Able to spend some significant periods of time walking and standing during events
- Periodically works irregular hours, including some nights and weekends.
- Local and regional travel is expected, though limited.
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license (to operate Zoo vehicles) with reliable transportation
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All applicants MUST place job code DIRDV in the subject line to be considered.