CHILDREN’S ZOO SPECIALIST I – PART-TIME
Apr 8, 2016
Children’s Zoo Specialists are both animal care specialists and educators responsible for an animal collection consisting of domestic and exotic animals for programming, contact and exhibit. Children’s Zoo Specialists I are responsible for preparing and presenting engaging public education presentations for children and families. Specialist are also responsible for helping to provide animal care, monitoring animal health, maintaining cleanliness of animal areas, providing enrichment, exhibit maintenance and improvements. Children’s Zoo Specialists may train in all areas of the Children Zoo which includes: the Farmyard, Underzone, Discovery House, Nature Exchange, and Birds Landing. This position is budgeted for 29 hours/week.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide animal encounters, formal and informal presentations, and other educational opportunities for visitors. Engage in positive guest interactions with an audience of children and their families; assist in the implementation of education and conservation goals. (90%)
- Follow protocols and operating procedures to maintain a high level of animal care. (10%)
- Thoroughly communicate daily status of animals verbally and in writing to coworkers, Supervisors, Curator.
- Perform facility maintenance and exhibit modifications as directed. Maintain Zoo equipment and property in clean, safe and appropriate condition; return it ready for next use.
- As instructed, assist with monitoring and control of pest species, feral animals, predators, etc that may pose hazards to the health or well-being of the collection.
- Work with and mentor youth volunteers throughout daily routine.
- Provide appropriate animal enrichment opportunities and participate in operant conditioning programs, as assigned. Learn and ensure implementation of LFCZ and AZA program animal and training/enrichment guidelines.
- Assist with visitor concerns or emergencies.
- Follow all safety protocols and understand role in emergency procedures.
- Attend and complete required training classes and tests.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance as scheduled. Exhibit flexibility as needed to cover schedule for special events.
- Represent Dallas Zoo in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Animal care and education experience preferred, preferably in a Zoo or similar setting.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in life sciences, zoology, education, or related field strongly preferred or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills. Must display a high level of customer service skills and a positive and professional attitude. Must have a desire to engage and work with large groups of children and adults. Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management and other employees.
- Must have excellent observational skills.
- Must be flexible, organized, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing. Spanish fluency a plus.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) or ability to master this and other software used by the Zoo within first few weeks after hiring.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code LFCZ-INTERPT in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.
EOE M/F/D/V www.dallaszoo.com