CHILDREN’S ZOO SPECIALIST (FULL-TIME)
Feb 12, 2014
Children’s Zoo Specialists are both educators and animal care specialists, responsible for providing animal care, monitoring animal health, maintaining cleanliness of animal areas, providing enrichment, giving public education presentations and performing other duties as assigned by manager. Children’s Zoo Specialists work in all areas of the Children Zoo including the Farmyard, Underzone, Discovery House, Nature Exchange, and Birds Landing.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide animal encounters, formal and informal presentations, and other educational opportunities for visitors. Engage in positive guest interactions with an audience of children and their families; assist in the implementation of education and conservation goals.
- Daily husbandry of animal collection (feeding, cleaning, health and behavioral observations)
- Thoroughly communicate daily status of animals verbally and in writing to coworkers, coordinators, manager and veterinarians.
- Prepare and present diets and medicate animals as directed.
- Perform facility maintenance and exhibit modifications.
- Work with and mentor youth volunteers throughout daily routine.
- Provide appropriate enrichment opportunities and participate in operant conditioning programs, as assigned.
- Follow protocols and operating procedures to maintain a high level of animal care.
- Assist with visitor concerns or emergencies.
- Follow all safety protocols and understand role in emergency procedures.
- Attend and complete required training classes and tests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Animal care and education experience preferred.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, education, or related field preferred. Background in early childhood development a plus.
- Must have a desire to engage and work with large groups of children and adults.
- Must display a high level of customer service skills and a positive and professional attitude.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be organized with the ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees, and zoo guests.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must have excellent observational skills.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All applicants MUST place job code CZSP in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.
EOE M/F/D/V www.dallaszoo.com