ANIMAL KEEPER II (HERPETOLOGIST)
Dec 22, 2015
The Dallas Zoo is seeking a highly motivated herpetologist to join our team. This person will be responsible for the direct care of amphibians and reptiles participating in all aspects of the Dallas Zoo herp program, including husbandry, education and conservation activities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide daily care and maintenance of a diverse collection of amphibians and reptiles including feeding collection animals, cleaning exhibits and holding areas, exhibit design, animal observation, documentation of animal behavior and excellent record keeping, minor maintenance, participation in medical procedures, participation in zoo based breeding programs, participation in keeper talks and public education efforts, and participation in zoo conservation, research and education initiatives. Successful candidates will have to pass a 6 month probation period which includes keeper tests over selected husbandry text and related materials, as well as venomous reptile handling training. Candidates must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, and special events as needed.
- Venomous animal experience preferred
- At least two to three years of animal care experience
- Experience with aquatic life support system preferred
- Must have Bachelor’s degree in biological field (Biology, Zoology, Animal Science)
- Some computer knowledge helpful
- Must be flexible, self-motivated and a team player
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently
- Must have good observational skills
- Reptile Keeper (Herpetologist) positions require split-second reaction times in order to avoid injury from venomous animals.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license (to operate Zoo vehicles) and reliable transportation
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter tozoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code RPTL in the subject line to be considered.