ANIMAL KEEPER I – SAVANNA
May 18, 2015
This position requires that you work as an effective and efficient team member on a daily basis to care for our Giraffe herd. Keepers in this section are expected to maintain a high level of performance in enrichment, husbandry, animal training, and public speaking.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work efficiently to complete daily husbandry.
- Follow protocols and operating procedures to maintain a high level of animal care.
- Follow all safety protocols and understand your role in emergency procedures.
- Attend all training pertinent to your job description.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work as a team to put on demonstrations for the public, showcasing species specific natural behaviors.
- Have a high level of patience.
- Maintain a high level of communication amongst team members on a daily basis. This includes all animal staff within the Savanna.
- Must be interested in positive reinforcement training.
- Must be open minded and willing to give and take constructive criticism.
- You need to have a can-do attitude.
- Having a forward thinking mentality is a plus. Always thinking about what we can do to take this program to the next level, but not at the expense of the present.
- Must have at least one year of hoof stock experience. Giraffe experience is a plus.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in biological field preferred, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Some computer knowledge helpful.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have good observational skills.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code AK1-SAVin the subject line to be considered