ANIMAL KEEPER I – BIRDS
Dec 30, 2015
Performs complete animal care work which includes food preparation, pest control, exhibit maintenance, feeding and cleaning exhibits for a variety of animals to ensure proper care and safety of animals.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare food for each assigned animal by following written diet instructions, feeds each animal as diet requires, provides water and administers medicines as instructed to ensure proper nutrition and health.
- Clean animal holding pens and exhibits, conducts pest control activities and reports any mechanical defects that would endanger the animal or the viewing public.
- Observe and monitors animals’ general health and behavior around other animals, staff, and public and reports any abnormal behavior to supervisor to ensure animal and public safety.
- Clean, store and maintain all utensils, food and equipment inventory to ensure availability of items and maintains hygienic conditions.
- Interact with other animal care staff, veterinarians and volunteers to maintain health and happiness of animals;
- Positively interacts with the public to provide education about animals and their natural environment and be willing to do keeper talks.
- Provide enrichment opportunities and training sessions as applicable.
- Must be capable, or willing to learn, capture and restraint of a variety of avian taxa including large, potentially dangerous species
- Perform general maintenance and repair of exhibits such as painting, repairing fences and shelters, abating erosion, planting ground cover and removing weeds.
- Assist and participate with media, tours, and public relations projects as necessary
- Prepare and updates animal records, report and survey and assist in research projects to ensure thorough documentation/accountability of assigned area and enhanced knowledge of animals.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have at least one year of exotic bird care experience at an AZA facility.
- BA/BS degree required.
- Must have knowledge of exotic bird care and basic bird husbandry skills.
- Experience with capture and restraint of a variety of avian taxa preferred
- Must have basic knowledge of research techniques, principles and practices.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and document animal care activities.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have good observation skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
Must be able to work in inclement weather.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to ZooJobs@DallasZoo.com. All applicants MUST place job code BRD1 in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.