ANIMAL KEEPER I – BIRDS
Sep 5, 2014
Performs complete animal care work which includes food preparation, pest control, exhibit maintenance, feeding and cleaning exhibits for a variety of animals to ensure proper care and safety of animals.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares food for each assigned animal by following written diet instructions, feeds each animal as diet requires, hand feeds baby animals, provides water and administers medicines as instructed to ensure proper nutrition and health.
- Cleans animal holding pens and exhibits, conducts pest control activities and reports any mechanical defects that would endanger the animal or the viewing public.
- Observes and monitors animals’ general health and behavior around other animals, staff and public and reports any abnormal behavior to supervisor to ensure animal and public safety, procure immediate medical care as necessary, and assist veterinarian with medical procedures.
- Clean, store and maintain all utensils, food and equipment inventory to ensure availability of items and maintains hygienic conditions.
- Interacts with other animal care staff, veterinarians and volunteers to maintain health and happiness of animals; interacts with the public to provide education about animals and their natural environment.
- Transfer animals to and from various sites and restrains animals so that medical procedures may be performed in a manner that is safe for both the animals and the staff.
- Performs general maintenance and repair of exhibits such as painting shelters, repairing fences and shelters, abating erosion, planning ground cover and removing weeds.
- Provides enrichment opportunities for the animals by adding or rearranging objects in the exhibits and providing a variety of approved foods in a natural setting.
- Prepares and updates animal records, report and survey and assist in research projects to ensure thorough documentation/accountability of assigned area and enhanced knowledge of animals.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have at least one year of exotic bird care experience.
- BA/BS degree preferred.
- Must have knowledge of exotic bird care and handling and basic knowledge of bird husbandry skills.
- Must have basic knowledge of research techniques, principles and practices.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and document animal care activities.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have good observation skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather.
How to apply
Apply online: You may download an application or e-mail a resume with cover letter to zoojobs@DallasZoo.com. Be sure to place the job code of the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Job codes are on the individual job listings.
Apply by mail: Download and mail a completed application or resume with cover letter to: Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. Attn: Human Resources 650 S. R.L. Thornton Frwy Dallas, TX 75203
Apply by fax: Download and Fax a completed application or resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources at 469.554.7388.
Apply in person: You may complete and turn in an application or drop off a resume with cover letter, Attn: Human Resources.
Please note: All applicants desiring to be considered for more than one posted position must apply for each position separately.
Due to the heavy volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews and/or further screening will be contacted.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to ZooJobs@DallasZoo.com. All applicants MUST place job code BRD1 in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.